Dropbox is a web service that I’ve recently fallen in love with. In the past I’ve used an external hard drive to manually backup my music collection (my most prized possession) about once a month. Then I’d copy all the new files manually over to my laptop to keep things in sync. But no more!
1) I Installed the app on my desktop (PC) and laptop (Mac).
2) I deleted my music collection from my laptop (the lesser up to date version of the two)
3) I setup a shared folder called Music within my Dropbox
4) I moved all my music on my PC into this folder
5) A few days later I had my entire music collection on my PC, Mac, and a copy backed up to the Web!
Best part is there is no more effort after this. When I download a new album from eMusic on my laptop, it instantly copies over to my desktop and visa versa. And the tragic day when both machines die a horrible death, I’ll still have a copy backed up to the web. Viva la Dropbox!
You can try it out with 2GB of storage for free, or pay $10/month for 50GB of storage. To me this is a small price to pay to never have to worry about losing my precious music collection again.
I’d love to hear what you guys think of this or what methods you’ve concocted to keep your treasures safe 🙂
Update: For those who are willing to give up syncing across computers for unlimited storage, check out Backblaze.