One of the best ways I’ve found to see what purpose your site is serving is to ask people how they would describe it to their friends. Often this is different than how a CEO or marketing guy will describe their company. Here’s a sampling of some of the descriptions our respondents gave:
* A site that gives you a quick indication of what other people are currently listening to and an easy approach to online music blogs.
* The Hype Machine is a great site for finding new music and listening to music from artists you might have heard of but haven’t actually heard yet. And since it’s coming from the best music blogs, you can find out about new artists much quicker than via traditional methods. You can also find b-sides, rare tracks, and live cuts that you might not find anywhere else.
* It’s an awesome place to find music that doesn’t suck.
* The Hype Machine is the best way to discover new music as opposed to radio and music television stations. Whereas those two areas are now interested in telling their audience what to listen to, the Hype Machine lets you decide.
* The ultimate means of finding music by independent artists posted in the blogosphere.
* It’s like quality radio used to be, with an awesome request line.
My personal favorite (and winner of best metaphor):
* Looking for music on Hype Machine is like walking through a field of mixed berry bushes. They compile all the songs featured on blogs and lay them all out for you to pick through. Sometimes you can stroll through and find something delicious. And if you’re looking for a specific song or artist, chances are someone’s blogged about them, and it’s there. It’s awesome.
Some of the ones that made us laugh (and maybe a little confused):
* The Pot Of Gold At The End Of A Rainbow
* It is where the music is born, so if you want a first glimpse, you know where I am.
* A cornucopia of LOVE for the adventurous.
* Pirate ship with jet engines… In a Robin Hood kinda way.
Awesome CYHSY photo by Flickr user Tonie.
Total Responses: 1274